BECE 2017 Social Studies Past Question Paper One
The main aim of promoting tourism in Ghana is to
- A: promote building of hotels.
- B: preserve forts and castles.
- C: earn foreign exchange.
- D: create employment for foreigners.
Which of the following measures can help reduce Ghana’s dependency on foreign aid?
- A: Generating more revenue locally
- B: Relying on Bank of Ghana reserves
- C: Patronising goods from abroad
- D: Repaying all foreign loans immediately
The two main levels of government in Ghana are
- A: district and municipal.
- B: national and district.
- C: national and regional.
- D: regional and district
Economic growth can best be achieved in Ghana through
- A: adding value to exports.
- B: patronizing foreign goods.
- C: relying on foreign aid.
- D: decreasing exports.
Which of the following governors introduced direct elections in Ghana in 1952?
- A: Hugh Clifford
- B: Allan Burns
- C: Gordon Guggisberg
- D: Arden Clarke
The most common reason for the migration of various ethnic groups to modern Ghana is
- A: tourism.
- B: security.
- C: religion.
- D: adventure.
Rural-Urban drift increases demand in the urban centres for
- A: social facilities.
- B: foreign exchange.
- C: crude oil.
- D: higher wages.
The large percentage of the youth in Ghana’s population implies that, Ghana has
- A: a free market economy.
- B: a lot of future labour force.
- C: adequate supply of consumer goods.
- D: equitable distribution of wealth.
On which of the following maps of Ghana can a Geographer easily identify the course of the River Volta?
- A: Political
- B: Physical
- C: Vegetation
- D: Climatic
Conventional signs enable map users to identify
- A: planets.
- B: rock profiles.
- C: cardinal points.
- D: land marks.
Most aspects of Ghanaian culture are displayed during
- A: traditional festivals.
- B: naming ceremonies.
- C: funeral rites.
- D: puberty rites.
A good social environment can be promoted through
- A: tolerance.
- B: bravery.
- C: competition.
- D: individualism.
Which of the following is the main reason for the protection of the physical environment?
- A: Survival of living things
- B: Ensuring adequate rainfall
- C: Improved standard of living
- D: Ensuring environmental sanitation
Bullying of pupils in schools constitutes
- A: sex discrimination.
- B: child labour.
- C: sexual harassment.
- D: child abuse.
The majority of Ghanaians acquire citizenship by
- A: naturalization.
- B: adoption.
- C: founding.
- D: birth.
Ghana is still not self-reliant because the country depends on
- A: foreign financial support.
- B: crude agricultural tools.
- C: primary industries.
- D: subsistence agriculture.
- A: taking time off normal duties.
- B: painting beautiful sceneries.
- C: buying new and beautiful artefacts.
- D: travelling to see and enjoy sceneries.
The most important national symbol which identifies Ghana as an independent sovereign state is the
- A: State Stool.
- B: State Sword.
- C: Flag.
- D: Mace.
The Upper East regional capital lies
- A: North-West of Kumasi.
- B: North-East of Kumasi.
- C: South-East of Kumasi.
- D: South-West of Kumasi.
Which of the following is an outmoded cultural practice?
- A: Naming ceremonies
- B: Funerals
- C: Puberty rites
- D: Widowhood rites
The most effective measure for reducing the rapid population growth in Ghana is by promoting
- A: gender equality.
- B: girl-child education.
- C: adolescent counselling.
- D: women empowerment.
Any lawful endeavour undertaken by an individual to earn a living is referred to as
- A: productivity.
- B: attitude.
- C: work.
- D: skills.
The state can best promote private sector business by
- A: supplying office equipment.
- B: guaranteeing financial support.
- C: increasing wages and salaries.
- D: offering all the needs of entrepreneurs.
- A: production of goods.
- B: production of services.
- C: output per man-hours.
- D: profit made out of production.
Which of the following should be the basis for signing Foreign Agreement in Ghana?
- A: Government interest
- B: Business Executive interest
- C: Majority interest
- D: National interest
A good layout and enforcement of Town Planning laws can help reduce
- A: substance abuse.
- B: influx of immigrants.
- C: emergence of slums.
- D: population growth.
A person legally recognized to enjoy political rights in a country is known as
- A: patriot.
- B: compatriot.
- C: politician.
- D: citizen.
The four cardinal points are
- A: N, E, SW, NE.
- B: N, S, NE, SW.
- C: N, E, W, S.
- D: N, W, SE, NE.
Relief rainfall is mostly experienced in areas of
- A: highlands.
- B: savannahs.
- C: forests.
- D: lowlands.
The major factor that has brought rapid cultural change in Ghana is
- A: formal education.
- B: inter-marriages.
- C: informal education.
- D: Christian marriages.
Habitats of endangered species of animals can be protected through the creation of
- A: land guards.
- B: forest reserves.
- C: tourist centres.
- D: veterinary clinics.
Joint stock companies are owned by
- A: government.
- B: entrepreneurs.
- C: directors.
- D: shareholders.
Which of the following is not a source of capital for the sole proprietor?
- A: Bank loan
- B: Personal loan
- C: Loan from friends
- D: Government subventions
Poor drainage system in our cities results in
- A: erosion.
- B: floods.
- C: earthquake.
- D: land slide.
Which of the following is the greatest contribution of Ghana towards the U.N.O.?
- A: Troops for peace keeping operations
- B: Settlements of refugees
- C: Payment of dues
- D: Donation of relief items
Political conflicts in Ghana can best be minimized through
- A: tolerating opposing views.
- B: adopting a common language.
- C: banning of private newspapers.
- D: voting for a very strong president.
Which of the following factors promote political stability in a country?
- A: Food security
- B: Rule of law
- C: Free education
- D: Rigid constitution
The highest authority in the traditional area is the
- A: Divisional chief.
- B: Clan heads.
- C: Paramount chief.
- D: Lineage heads.
Which of the following is an effect of ethnic conflicts?
- A: Interruption of development projects
- B: Decrease in government expenditure
- C: Frequent interruption of electricity supply
- D: Over dependence on foreign goods
The most convenient way of reducing slum in cities is to
- A: remove badly laid out building.
- B: build more estates.
- C: increase wages and salaries.
- D: supervise siting of structures.
End Of Paper
End of BECE 2017 Social Studies Past Question Paper One, Thank you for visiting this page, if any spelling mistake or wrong answers are spotted kindly notice us in the comment section below remember to share page to friends and famillies who may need it